March is Fraud Prevention Month in Canada, led by the Competition Bureau of Canada and supported by 125 law enforcement agencies, private companies, and public sector organizations. Awareness about fraud helps us all to recognize it when we see it, reject it, and report it.
At The Benefits Trust, we strongly believe in scam awareness and prevention, so business owners and consumers alike can protect themselves from fraud. Most Canadians have been or will be fraud targets – which means all Canadians should be informed about fraud so they can stop it when they see it.
2016 is the 12th anniversary of Canada’s annual fraud awareness month. This year, the Competition Bureau has provided some great informative videos about the most common scams.
We’re sharing the videos on health and medical scams, small business scams, and employment scams to help spread the word.
Health and Medical Scams Video
Small Business Scams Video
Job and Employment Scams Video
Fraud Prevention Resources
- Competition Bureau of Canada – Fraud Prevention Resources: Here you can find great information for Canadians about how to recognize and report fraud.
- The Little Black Book of Scams: This resource is provided by The Competition Bureau of Canada and provides essential information about the most common fraud schemes.
- The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners – Fraud Tips and Tools: As the world’s largest anti-fraud organization, ACFE offers a vast amount of anti-fraud information on their website.
- Our Previous International Fraud Awareness Week Blog: This blog discusses common occupational fraud schemes.
- Our Previous Fraud Prevention Month Blog: This blog includes some important fraud prevention tips for benefits plan members. Take a look!
- The Canadian Health Care Anti-fraud Association (CHCAA): Learn about healthcare fraud and how to report it.
If you would like to participate in the conversation on Twitter during March, use the hashtag #FPM2016.
More about Fraud from The Benefits Trust:
- Can Benefits Plan Design Reduce Fraud?
- The Little Black Book Of Scams
- How to Eradicate Benefits Fraud and Add to Your Bottom Line
- Case Study: Addressing Employee Demands for More Benefit Choices in Family Owned Business - February 21, 2020
- Changes Coming to OHIP in 2020 - November 26, 2019
- Canadian Businesses Turning to Flexible Benefits Plans - October 7, 2019
- Common Benefits Advisor Problems: Adding Value, Part Three - June 6, 2019
- Common Benefits Advisor Problems: Adding Value, Part Two - May 14, 2019
- Dental Fees in Ontario Rising 4.19% This Year: What Can You Do? - March 22, 2019
- How to Combat the Skyrocketing Cost of Dental Claims - October 24, 2018
- Virtual Care in Canada, Here to Stay! - September 18, 2018
- Rob Crowder Celebrates 30 Years in the Business! - August 17, 2018
- Common Benefits Advisor Problems: Adding Value, Part One - July 26, 2018