Are you heading down to the States this weekend?
Many Canadians cross the border for some weekend entertainment. We go for the shopping (Black Friday, anyone?), to catch a Bills or Sabres game, or just to get away on a mini-vacation.
No matter your reason, it’s essential to make sure you are covered by out of country medical insurance when you go. You may think it’s just a few days – but consider: What would happen if you or your family did have an accident or emergency while you were in the U.S.?
Medical bills in the United States can stack up quickly, even for minor illnesses. You do not want to be caught without coverage and find yourself with a huge, unexpected debt.
Whether you’re going for a day trip, a weekend, or a month, make sure you have out of country protection before visiting the U.S.
Your Out of Country Insurance
If you currently have benefits through your employer:
Contact your benefits provider before you go away and inquire about your travel medical insurance, or “out of province” coverage. You should ensure your benefits plan is one of the many that include these features before you go away.
If you do have travel medical insurance with your benefits plan, ask about your “travel assist policy number” or “travel assist card”. This is vital information to have if you require medical assistance while visiting the States. If you need your insurance during your trip, the card will have a travel emergency phone number you can call. Call the number as soon as you can at the time of the incident to make sure the expenses are approved and to help smooth the claims process.
If you do not have out of country insurance through your benefits plan, you can purchase it for the duration of your trip from:
- Your travel agent
- Your bank
- Associations like CAA
- Specialty insurance companies
So if you’re heading to the U.S. this weekend – sort out your out of country protection now and avoid trouble down the road!
>> Is your benefits plan provided by The Benefits Trust? Contact us if you have questions about your travel coverage or if you need your travel assist policy number.
- Canadian Businesses Turning to Flexible Benefits Plans - October 7, 2019
- Common Benefits Advisor Problems: Adding Value, Part Three - June 6, 2019
- Common Benefits Advisor Problems: Adding Value, Part Two - May 14, 2019
- Dental Fees in Ontario Rising 4.19% This Year: What Can You Do? - March 22, 2019
- How to Combat the Skyrocketing Cost of Dental Claims - October 24, 2018
- Virtual Care in Canada, Here to Stay! - September 18, 2018
- Rob Crowder Celebrates 30 Years in the Business! - August 17, 2018
- Common Benefits Advisor Problems: Adding Value, Part One - July 26, 2018
- Valuable HR Resources for The Benefits Trust Clients - June 21, 2018
- April 2nd is National Employee Benefits Day 2018 - March 28, 2018