Heading to the U.S.? You Need Out of Country Insurance!

Mike Ignatz has managed Business Development at The Benefits Trust since 2005. His drive and focus has helped The Benefits Trust provide better benefits plans to small and mid-sized businesses throughout Canada.

Heading to the U.S.? You Need Out of Country Insurance!

Are you heading down to the States this weekend?
Many Canadians cross the border for some weekend entertainment. We go for the shopping (Black Friday, anyone?), to catch a Bills or Sabres game, or just to get away on a mini-vacation.

No matter your reason, it’s essential to make sure you are covered by out of country medical insurance when you go. You may think it’s just a few days – but consider: What would happen if you or your family did have an accident or emergency while you were in the U.S.?

Medical bills in the United States can stack up quickly, even for minor illnesses. You do not want to be caught without coverage and find yourself with a huge, unexpected debt.
Whether you’re going for a day trip, a weekend, or a month, make sure you have out of country protection before visiting the U.S.

Your Out of Country Insurance

If you currently have benefits through your employer:

Contact your benefits provider before you go away and inquire about your travel medical insurance, or “out of province” coverage. You should ensure your benefits plan is one of the many that include these features before you go away.

If you do have travel medical insurance with your benefits plan, ask about your “travel assist policy number” or “travel assist card”. This is vital information to have if you require medical assistance while visiting the States. If you need your insurance during your trip, the card will have a travel emergency phone number you can call. Call the number as soon as you can at the time of the incident to make sure the expenses are approved and to help smooth the claims process.

If you do not have out of country insurance through your benefits plan, you can purchase it for the duration of your trip from:

  • Your travel agent
  • Your bank
  • Associations like CAA
  • Specialty insurance companies

So if you’re heading to the U.S. this weekend – sort out your out of country protection now and avoid trouble down the road!

>> Is your benefits plan provided by The Benefits Trust? Contact us if you have questions about your travel coverage or if you need your travel assist policy number.


Choose Your Plan That Fits Your Business

Call An Advisor 1-800-487-2993. We Pick Up The Phone!

Get A Quote For Your Plan

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What’s Covered?

Modal dialog