The Pan-Canadian Pharmaceutical Alliance (pCPA) is a joint initiative by Canada’s provinces and territories to achieve a better value for generic drugs in Canada.
As a result of recent bargaining from pCPA, the price of the following fourteen generic drugs has been reduced to 18% of the equivalent brand name drug:
- Clopidogrel – Plavix®
- Gabapentin – Neurontin®
- Metformin – Glucophage®
- Olanzapine – Zyprexa®, Zyprexa Zydis®
- Atorvastatin Calcium – Lipitor®
- Ramipril – Altace®
- Venlafaxine Hydrochloride – Effexor®
- Amlodipine – Norvasc®
- Omeprazole – Losec®
- Rabeprazole Sodium – Pariet®
- Simvastatin – Zocor®
- Citalopram – Cipralex®
- Pantoprazole – Pantoloc®
- Rosuvastatin – Crestor®
This is good news for Canadians who want to maximize their drug benefit dollars.
New Brunswick and British Columbia will be the first to announce the change, with other provinces soon following.
>> The Benefits Trust keeps our clients and advisor partners informed about the latest news in the Canadian benefits industry. Contact us to build the best benefits plan for your needs.
More Benefits News from The Benefits Trust:
- FREE eBook! Get “The Smart Employer’s Guide to Healthcare Spending Accounts”
- Do You and Your Employees Know These Important OHIP Coverage Details?
- Canadian Treasurer Magazine – What Finance Needs to Know About Employee Benefits
- Mitigating Risk in Your Client’s Benefits Plan Design – Part 1 - September 24, 2020
- Case Study: Freeing Yourself From the Commodity Mindset - August 27, 2020
- Case Study: Reflecting Your Company Culture in Your Benefits Plan - May 21, 2020
- Case Study: Addressing Employee Demands for More Benefit Choices in Family Owned Business - February 21, 2020
- Changes Coming to OHIP in 2020 - November 26, 2019
- Canadian Businesses Turning to Flexible Benefits Plans - October 7, 2019
- Common Benefits Advisor Problems: Adding Value, Part Three - June 6, 2019
- Common Benefits Advisor Problems: Adding Value, Part Two - May 14, 2019
- Dental Fees in Ontario Rising 4.19% This Year: What Can You Do? - March 22, 2019
- How to Combat the Skyrocketing Cost of Dental Claims - October 24, 2018